A popular Sydney beach will be closed for two weeks after asbestos was found on its surface eight months ago.
- The beach will reopen on weekends during the closure
- Asbestos was first found on the beach eight months ago
- Randwick Council says the beach may have been used as a dumping ground
A local resident first found the dangerous substance on Little Bay Beach in Sydney’s eastern suburbs in August last year, and Randwick City Council said it was “continuing” to find more.
The beach will be closed for two weeks from Monday to allow for a “detailed site investigation”.
“We’re continuing to find asbestos-containing materials on the surface,” Mayor Danny Said said in a statement.
“We need to undertake a more detailed…